The £135 million redevelopment looks to provide a vibrant new retail, leisure, commercial and residential destination in the heart of the town centre, transforming Wigan town centre into a vibrant, attractive and accessible place to live, work and visit.
- Cityheart were appointed as Wigan Council’s Strategic Development Partner to deliver a long-term, mixed-use regeneration project at the 8-acre The Galleries Site, located in the heart of Wigan. Cityheart established a best-in-class project team to transform the site, involving design, construction, finance and ultimately the long-term operation and management of the scheme.
- The hybrid planning application was submitted by Zerum on behalf of Cityheart and Wigan Council. Zerum continue to be instructed as Planning Agent on the project, involved with the discharge of conditions and the submission of Reserved Matters, the most recent of which related to the Multimedia Centre (MMC).
- The delivery of the MMC is key as it forms part of in the initial phase of the planned development at Wigan Galleries site. The MMC is a critical element of the scheme as it provides the day and nighttime footfall into the heart of wigan once more, allowing not only the Galleries but the wider town centre to benefit from the greatly increased footfall which the MMC will provide. It also provides a critical new leisure destination currently missing in the heart of Wigan and indeed the borough, the multi-faceted scheme will benefit from six new multi-use cinema screens but also ten bowling alley, a 10m adventure climbing wall, retro-arcade, interactive darts, karaoke rooms, mini golf, shuffle board and pool tables, supported by a central food and beverage outlet supported with private bookable rooms for weddings and special occasions which even extends to the cinema screen themselves for a private viewing make a special occasion even more significant.
- The scheme also includes:
- A purpose-built pavilion off Market Street will provide new food and drink establishments and evening entertainment.
- A new, more centrally located market hall will be delivered, which will include traditional market stalls, new retail units, co-working spaces, small offices and a contemporary vibrant food hall.
- A new hotel; and
- 464 new high-quality homes ranging from one-bedroom apartments to three-bedroom town houses and retirement living.
- As a traditional market town, Wigan Council’s vision for the town centre puts the market at the heart of its ambitious plans. A truly regenerative project!